Sunday, January 11, 2009

Chateau Cote Montpezat 2000


Tonight we're having Bordeaux with our pot roast :).

I love trying new wines, and I love to try out wine-pairings especially, because wine and food have a lovely ethereal relationship. Today I visited Wegman's wine cellar with my friend Mari, and picked out a couple different bottles of Bordeaux, one to drink along side the pot roast I am putting together. The pick I decided to try tonight is the Chateau Cote Montpezat 2000, which I bought on sale at Wegmans for $12 and which is listed online at winelibrary.com for $19 - go Wegmans!

Bordeaux in wine terms refers to any bottle of wine grown in the Bordeaux region of France. 80% of wines that come out of Bordeaux are red, and the most planted grape variety is Merlot, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon. The Chateau Cote Montpezat 2000 is grown in the Cote de Castillon appellation and is a mix of 70% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 10 % Cabernet Sauvignon. A very full bodied red!

The nose was very subtle at first, though after a few minutes it started to open up and I got a hint of apple, reviewers have said to let it decant for up to an hour but I do not have a decanter nor am I that patient so I popped and poured. Right away it served up smooth velvety oak taste punctured with a hint of pepper, very luscious!

This pick will go great with any hearty red meats like pot roast, steak, lamb and i would even venture to try this with a hearty-non-turkey-chili!

No comments: