
I've decided to put my blog to good use! I cook ALL the TIME. Mostly because its fun for me, and I like to try new things. And its cheaper and safer (sometimes) than climbing a mountain or going skydiving. SO, I've decided that as part of my new years resolution I am going to cook and blog, blog and cook. I've already got an appropriately named blog - the Oven! So, without further ado, here's my first cooking post - Coffee Crunch Bars!
I found this recipe in an issue of Bon Appetite that belonged to my friend Mari. She said she didnt want the magazine (its gold to me!) so I took it home and read it on the train when I was coming from her house on Wednesday night. There was a very strange gentleman(i use this word loosely in this post) who got on the train while I was reading the issue actually. He was young and dressed kind of grungy and kept swinging on the metro bars. I tried to focus on the issue of Bon Appetite rather than meet his eye, as about halfway through the metro ride home I realized that said "gentleman" was either very very drunk or high as a kite on what i dont know. And he was switching something on and off in his pocket which sounded, to me, much like a knife. So anyway, to keep my mind off the swinging gentleman with possible knife directly in front of me (ah DC), I had to find not just a recipe to read, but some sort of story to hold my attention. This is when I discovered the Coffee Crunch Bar article.
I have always loved to cook, but the REASON that I love to cook has alot more to do with people than food. For though I am sure one person could find alot of joy in 48 coffee crunch bars, food is so much better when it is shared among friends and family. Such was the premise of the Coffee Crunch Bar article. The writer and recipe owner, Molly Wizenberg got this recipe from a good friend of hers who came to visit her when she was living in Seattle. Her friend, Leah, got the recipe from her grandmother, Mamie Chaiffetz, who got the recipe from HER father, a baker in the Russian Calvary. Its got some history. The highlight of her friend Leahs stay with her in Seattle was eating a few of these crunchy delights on a hike to Mt. Rainer.
Let us not forget: Food + Activity = Fond Memory
They were relatively easy to make. The only ingredients I did not have on hand were the almond extract and the almonds themselves. Oh, and the espresso powder. My one tip if you should decide to make these is not to loose faith, all that flour really will mix into the dough in the end. Its a really good work out for your upper torso too! I recommend munching on these with a cup of coffee, it brings out more of the almond/espresso flavor. I will be taking some of these over to my some of my own dear friends soon - and perhaps these visits will spark a story of my own, something to remember the next time I decide to make Coffee Crunch Bars. Though I must say, hiking is out of the question - too cold.
Oh, as for that gentleman on the metro, when I finally did exit the train, he was still swinging, and ours eyes met for a brief second as I headed out the doors, and he broke into a sweet but slightly creepy version of Que Sera, Sera.
Its good to be alive!
Coffee Crunch Bars
Makes 48
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups (firmly packed) brown sugar
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Whisk first 3 ingredients in medium bowl to blend.
Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in another medium bowl until blended, about 2 minutes. Add espresso powder and almond extract; beat 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture in 3 additions, mixing until just absorbed after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips and almonds (dough will be thick).
Turn dough out ontoungreased rimmed baking sheet. Using hands, press dough into 12-inch square. Pierce all over with fork at 1-inch intervals.
Bake until edges are lightly browned and beginning to crisp, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool on sheet 1 minute. Cut into 48 bars. Immeadeatley transfer to rack; cool (bars will crisp as they cool).
Can be made 5 days ahead and stored at room temperature in an airtight container.
1 comment:
Recipe sounds great... after the wedding (and my pre-wedding diet), I'll try it!
Post a Comment